Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The freaking out has commenced...

Who knew something so small could be such a pain in the butt?

I'd like to make it crystal clear that yes, I have finally begun to freak out over my impending move!  I started looking at the kitties' records to make sure they have the correct scan-able microchip numbers, and the panic set in.  What is ISO comparable?  Do I have to get them re-chipped?  Why are their differences in micro-chipping? Grrrrr!

The panic started when I read an article online that stated if your pet's microchip can't be read with the UK's DIFFERENT digitization/scanner system, your pet could face quarantine.  O.M.G.  This is WAY more stressful that I thought it would be.  So, I'm trying to be pro-active.  I made an consultation vet appointment and really hope this gives me the comfort I need. 

So the order goes something like this:
1) Microchipping
2) Rabies Vaccination
3) Rabies blood test (which, I might add, has to go to a government-approved facility)
4) Letter from your vet (on letterhead) saying your pet is a-ok (and it HAS to be signed in blue ink.  Yes, blue).
5) Health certificate filled out by vet
6) USDA endorsement
7) 24-48 hours before departure: issue of international health certificate AND tick/tapeworm treatment
(Thanks to Sabrina for the comprehensive list!)

Oh god, I think I just made myself panic even more.  Mind you, this is just for the cats.  I still have to get my visa situated, find a place to live, look for scholarships, oh, and get rid of all of my stuff.  Shutdown mode has now commenced...

3 comments:

  1. The blog looks good. Nice job you HTML wizard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Steph---You know, we moved our family back and forth from France in 2007 (there) and 2009 (back). It's an enormous job but I am here to tell you that it's a doable job. We even moved our dogs. It did seem impossible at first, but I just kept breaking down the list into smaller and smaller elements and then I did a little bit every--well, most--days.

    And then sometimes I felt overwhelmed and like I was about to step off the edge of a cliff. That often happened either late at night or early in the morning. I learned to try not to pay too close attention to that, because those hours are when my subconscious can really mess with me. But it was a discipline, learning that, and I'm still not totally accomplished at it.

    If you want practical advice, I'm happy to offer it---I may not have much helpful to say, but I've sorted through a similar set of problems, so I may be able at least to understand.

    You can do this. I wish I could come and help you for a day or two!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stephanie! Sorry I'm SO late in this reply, as I've been busy getting things going. I appreciate any/all help with this move, so your suggestions are great!

    ReplyDelete